Economic Recovery Coordinator – Sukhum based
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, advocate for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Since 2005, programmes in Abkhazia are designed through a “protection lens”, ensuring that all activities integrate protection principles. As such, we will continue to work on expanding our knowledge and ensure durable solutions are provided to IDPs, returnees and host communities, and as well as make IDPs, returnees, host communities and persons in a refugee-like situation aware of and actively claim their rights, through legal assistance and awareness raising.
The main DRC donors in Abkhazia in 2022 are the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UNHCR, GiZ and European Union. In DRC SC, the programmes focus on the following core sectors of intervention in line with DRC mandate to provide durable solutions to displaced populations of concern:
• Shelter and Settlement (construction and rehabilitations works);
• Economic Recovery (self-reliance, small-business and SME development, work placement etc.);
• Access to education and community services;
• Access to rights and basic freedoms/protection (legal aid assistance);
Position`s Overall Objective:
The Economic Recovery Coordinator under the direct supervision of the Area Manager is expected to give a substantial contribution to the implementation and coordination of economic development projects with DRC in Abkhazia, under the Economic Recovery Unit with a handful of Officers, with a focus on business development, micro-credit disbursement, skills and professional development. The overall aim is to create an enabling and integrated environment which allows economic actors in Abkhazia better access skills development opportunities, financial services and the labor market in general, thus enhancing socio-economic inclusion.
Position’s Specific Objectives:
1. Contribute to improve human, capital and social capacities among economic actors which operate in the primary sector, from agriculture till agro-processing and final transformation, in a way to revitalize supply chains, create new business development opportunities, increase productivity and competitiveness at SME level. By doing so, this will allow DRC to diversify its economic recovery portfolio and look into new areas of the local economy such as agriculture;
2. Contribute to the enhancement of human capacities among local entrepreneurs in Abkhazia in the secondary (manufacturing and production) and the tertiary sector (services) through the establishment of VET-like services at SME level which foresees the provision of technical assistance or formal indoor training to entrepreneurs and their associates in a way to allow further capacity-strengthening of youth NEETs (Not in Education, Employment or Training), this with the ultimate objective to ensure greater employability, but as well effectively increase productivity of selected business entities.
Reports to Area Manager in Abkhazia and coordinates activities with the MEAL Coordinator on need basis for evaluation and monitoring purposes.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. To achieve the above-mentioned objectives, the Economic Recovery Coordinator shall perform the following tasks and undertake the following specific responsibilities:
2. Develop, start-up, manage, and overall supervise all activities under Economic Recovery unit in South-East and North-West of Abkhazia.
3. Coordinate day-to-day implementation of ongoing livelihood-interventions across two offices in Gal and Sukhum, namely livelihood support activities including enterprise-development and competence strengthening through non-formal education and specifically multifaceted and complementary skills development schemes (work placement, qualifications, master classes);.
4. Ensure through the Economic Recovery team the timely deliverables of selected partners against work-plans; monitoring and reporting implementation progress and results.
5. Ensure as a coordinator of the Economic Recovery team that project targets are met according to work plan deadlines, and that the project is adequately resourced to carry out effective programming.
6. Initiate technically and validate any community assessments performed by the team to identify critical requirements for program interventions with focus on the SMEs, youth, and farmers.
7. Manage the project budget and procurement of goods, services according to DRC OH with the support of the Supply Chain officer, in consultation with the Economic Recovery team.
8. Coordinate the selection of SMEs in Abkhazia that will act as ‘Training Hubs’ under foreseen skills development schemes.
9. Coordinate the organization of ToT trainings to SMEs as training hubs, to be performed by VET external experts.
10. Coordinate the facilitation of on-the-job and indoor training, provide advice and technical assistance to selected beneficiaries both employers and trainees with respect to the delivered financial assistance in order to maximize impact and increase economic prospects;
11. Visit regularly selected training hubs and youth and monitor delivery and disbursement plans in a way to report any default in the implementation of the assigned project;
12. Coordinate data collection and analysis with regards to the supported SMEs or youth (production of ID forms, collection of AGD data, collection of data in line with set project indicators) for the sake of reporting and future programming;
13. Liaise with authorities, research institute, partner organizations, NGOs, government bodies, and clusters at sub-regional/country level.
We expect you to have:
• Minimum 5 years of experience working on Cash and/or Livelihoods project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context.
• University degree or higher education relevant to the assignment;
• Strong MS Office skills: Excel, Word;
• Fluency in English and Russian both verbal and written;
• Driving license
All DRC roles should also master our five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract: 11 months (with 3 months’ probation period) with possible extension
Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
Duty station: Sukhum, Abkhazia
Availability: 1st February 2022
All applicants must upload a cover letter, CV in English and two references no later than January 5th, 2022, 23:59.
We only accept online applications at [email protected]
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer